If you love Italian food, you’ve already heard about Panini. It’s a famous sandwich made of Italian bread.
Although an Italian dish, Panini has become quite popular worldwide. This sandwich is beloved by both children and adults.
While you can find a yummy grilled chicken Panini at an Italian restaurant or fast-food shops, it would be even healthier if you can make it at home.
Continue reading to learn the recipe for delicious homemade Italian grilled chicken Panini sandwich.
How to Prepare Italian Grilled Chicken Panini
The bread usually used for this sandwich can range from ciabatta to focaccia. But, you can use fresh sourdough as well. It actually goes well with fresh provolone cheese.
So, let’s get started.
- Sourdough Bread – 4 Slices
- Organic Chicken Breast – 1 lb.
- Provolone Cheese Slices – 8 oz.
- Fresh Basil Pesto – 4 tbsp
- Oregano – 1/2 tbsp
- Paprika – 1/2 tbsp
- Fresh Spinach Leaf – 1/2 cup
- Sea Salt – 1 tsp
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Black Pepper – 1/2 tbsp
Ingredients for the crushed tomato sauce:
- Crushed Tomatoes – 1 Small Can
- Grated Parmesan Cheese – 1/4 cup
- Red Pepper Flakes – 1 tsp
- Oregano – 1 tsp
Instructions to make the sandwich:
- Pre-heat your grill or Panini maker to high heat.
- Take a small cooking pot, add all sauce ingredients (crushed tomatoes, parmesan cheese, oregano, red pepper flakes) and cook on medium heat until it begins to bubble. Remove the sauce from heat.
- Butterfly slice your chicken breast and season each side with sea salt, black pepper, paprika, and oregano. Slightly rub the seasoning into the meat.
- Pre-heat cooking pan to medium/high heat. Add a tablespoon of cooking oil.
- Cook each chicken breast for four minutes on each side. Set to the side when done.
- Begin layering your bread slice by adding 2 tbsp of pesto to one side and spreading evenly. Top pesto with two slices of provolone cheese. Spread the tomato sauce mixture evenly using a slotted spoon. Add chicken breast, two more slices of provolone cheese, and add the desired amount of spinach leaf. Top the spinach leaf off with two more slices of provolone cheese. Butter the outside of the sourdough bread.
- Place the sandwich to the Panini maker and grill for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cut the Panini down the middle. Serve hot.
Grilled Chicken Panini sandwich is delicious and mouthwatering food. It can be a great item for family dinner, a great addition during movie time, or a filling meal during office lunch. However, it tastes better when served hot and fresh.
You can find varieties of the Panini sandwich in your nearest Italian food shop or any fast-food shop. But if you want them fresh and healthy, you can make them at home as well. It’s effortless and fun to make, and the taste will be just the way you want.