Who does not wish for a healthy gorgeous skin?
We all want beautiful radiant skin that we can flaunt and be proud of.
As much as possible, we’d like to keep fine lines, wrinkles and other aging signs at bay.
We’d also want to banish acne and other blemishes that make our skin less than perfect.
If we could have it our way, we want to keep our skin smooth and fully moisturized 100 percent of the time.
How could we achieve all these?
One way is with natural skin remedies such as olive oil.
Here are the things that we’ll learn from this post:
- How important skin is to our health
- What the common skin problems are
- How olive oil can benefit the skin
- What olive oil recipes can be used to maintain beautiful skin and get rid of various problems
Importance of Proper Skin Care
As the body’s largest organ, the skin serves as a protective covering for the entire body .
It is made up of three tissue layers:
- Epidermis – the outer layer that consists of dead cells that wash or flake off, and replaced with new skin cells underneath 
- Dermis – the inner layer of the skin where the hair follicles, oil glands, blood vessels and lymph vessels can be found 
- Subcutaneous layer – also called the hypodermis, this is the innermost layer of the skin composed of fat cells 
There are various ways by which the skin helps in protecting the body and keeping the systems in check.
For one, it acts as a barrier, preventing harmful microbes from coming into the body and causing infection .
It helps in the maintenance of the immune system as well as the functions of other body parts .
Through the sweat glands, the skin is also in charge of regulating the body temperature .
With its sense of touch, it can detect possible dangers in the form of heat or cold, pain, pressure and so on .
When the skin is exposed to the sun, it produces vitamin D, which is essential for absorbing calcium, a mineral necessary for bone growth and oral health .
Obviously, the skin plays many vital roles that it’s only right to protect it as much as we can.
It’s imperative to keep it healthy, and avoid any types of injuries .
This will help keep diseases at bay, and make sure that all the organs are functioning optimally .
RELATED: 10 Nourishing Home Remedies for Dry Skin (& How to Use Them)
What are Common Skin Problems?
Unfortunately, many diseases can affect our skin.
Here are some of the most common skin problems that people around the world face everyday:
- Acne – Acne is caused by an overproduction of sebum in the oil glands, and at the same time, a bacterial infection of Propionibacterium acnes. Although more common in teens, it can also affect children and adults. It’s usually a minor skin problem, health-wise but it can cause significant negative effects on people’s self-esteem and emotional well-being .
- Eczema – Otherwise known as atopic dermatitis, eczema is a chronic and long-term skin condition characterized by rashes, and dry and itchy skin. It often appears on the face, knees, hands, feet and elbows .
- Skin Cancer – In the United States, this is the most common type of cancer. Two of the most prevalent types of skin cancer are cancers of the squamous cell and basal cell. The more serious type, which is melanoma, is fortunately less prevalent. Experts explain that sun exposure is the leading cause of skin cancer .
- Psoriasis – Psoriasis is a skin condition that causes patches of silvery scales to appear on the skin, usually on the lower back, face, legs, elbows and knees .
- Rashes – Rashes refer to red inflamed bumps on different parts of the skin that can be caused by an allergic reaction, or an underlying medical condition .
- Rosacea – Characterized by facial flushing, rosacea is a condition that inflames the facial skin .
- Wrinkles – Wrinkles as well as age spots are common as people age. Sun exposure, cigarette smoking, and overuse of products contribute to aging signs .
Properties of Olive Oil
The Mediterranean diet has long been linked to health benefits such as reduced risk of heart disease and certain forms of cancer .
Many experts believe that one of the main reasons for this is the frequent use of olive oil .
In fact, it is their “main source of fat” .
Olive oil, which is the fat obtained from the fruit of the olive tree, is an excellent source of unsaturated and saturated fatty acids, as well as antioxidants such as phenolic compounds [7, 8].
Oleuropein and hydroxytyrosol are the main phenolic compounds that can be found in olive oil .
Apart from lowering the incidence of cancer and heart disease, these compounds are also responsible for olive oil’s antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties .
Although it originated in the Mediterranean region, olive oil is now being used and produced in different parts of the world .
It is now widely used as an ingredient in traditional medicines, in cooking, and in cosmetic products .
Many now rely on olive oil for various skin problems, and you’re about to find out why.
RELATED: 10 Health Benefits of Ginger Oil That You Should Know About
How Effective is Olive Oil for Healthy Skin?
Olive oil has tremendous benefits for the skin that you can’t afford to ignore.
Here are some of them:
1. Olive Oil Keeps the Skin Moisturized
To maintain the skin’s healthy and fresh appearance, it’s important to keep it moisturized.
Olive oil, which is rich in vitamin E, protects the skin from the drying effects of the sun .
It is also a natural emollient and humectant that draws in moisture from the atmosphere and keeps it locked in the skin, as proven in various studies [11, 12, 13].
When you have olive oil, you no longer have to invest on expensive moisturizers that are filled with chemicals that can harm your health over time.
2. Olive Oil Wards of Signs of Aging
One of the primary causes of premature aging is free radical damage.
Fortunately, this can be reversed with antioxidants, which work to neutralize the damage caused by these by-products of oxidation.
Several studies have confirmed that olive oil is packed with skin beneficial antioxidants that can ward off signs of aging such as wrinkles, age spots, fine lines and so on [14, 15, 16].
This oil is surely a great way to look younger than you really are.
3. Olive Oil Fights Acne
The most common skin problem, which is acne, can also be resolved using olive oil.
According to research, oleic acid in olive oil can reduce the pro-inflammatory markers .
Antioxidants in olive oil also work the same way in toning down inflammation, which is one of the effects of acne .
RELATED: 14 Essential Oils for Acne That You Should Try
4. Olive Oil Prevents Skin Diseases
Many of the skin diseases that people usually suffer from can be alleviated by using olive oil.
Olive oil has powerful antibacterial properties that can combat the bacteria causing problems on the skin .
It also has fungicidal effects that inhibit fungal strains like Candida that also commonly infect the skin .
How to Use Olive Oil on Skin?
Below, you’ll find a quick list of olive oil remedies that you can use on your skin
#1. Olive Oil and Lemon Juice Exfoliant
Lemon juice is not only a natural exfoliant, it is also rich in vitamin C, which boosts the production of skin collagen and promotes skin renewal.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- Combine all the ingredients.
- Massage your face and body with this mixture.
- Rinse with cool water after a few minutes.
- Repeat twice a week.
#2. Olive Oil, Yogurt and Honey Makeup Remover
Instead of using a commercial makeup remover, rely on this combination, which will not only nourish your skin but also minimize exposure to harmful chemicals.
What You’ll Need:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 cup of yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Put all ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix well.
- Use a cotton ball to rub mixture on your face to remove makeup.
#3. Olive Oil and Tea Tree Oil Acne Buster
Fight acne with tea tree oil’s antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 5 drops of tea tree oil
- Dilute tea tree oil in olive oil.
- Apply on the skin with a cotton ball.
- Spread evenly.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with warm water.
- Do this everyday for one to two weeks or until acne clears.
#4. Olive Oil and Sugar Facial Mask
Brown sugar is a highly effective natural exfoliant that can help get rid of dead skin cells.
What You’ll Need:
- 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Mix olive oil and brown sugar.
- Gently massage on your face.
- Wait for 20 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
- Repeat procedure two to three times a week.
The skin does so many important jobs that it’s only right to protect it the best way possible.
Use olive oil on your skin to keep it in top health and condition.
Let us know your experience of using any of the methods described above. Write in the comment section.
READ NEXT: 8 Vitamins for Acne Prone Skin That You Should Know