Lychee tea is a flavored tea made of black tea, lychee, juice, and flower petals. It is a popular beverage in Asia that comes with a delightful aroma and sweet taste.
The key ingredient of this refreshing tea is lychee, a sweet tropical fruit that comes from the tree of Litchi genus. This tree is native to some Chinese provinces and has been popular for its numerous nutritional properties.
This beverage is often consumed as a summer iced tea, but you can drink it warm as well. Like this delicious fruit, its tea also offers a number of health benefits.
Continue reading to learn about the health benefits, side effects and a simple recipe of lychee tea.
Health Benefits of Lychee Tea
Lychee contains a high amount of potassium, vitamin C, and a good amount of polyphenolic compounds, making the tea healthy and delicious.
Here are some of the health benefits that you may get by drinking lychee tea.
1. Lychee Tea Can Improve Heart Health.
Potassium is essential to maintain a healthy heart and prevent diseases like heart attack and stroke.
A study published in The American Journal of Cardiology proved that the high level of potassium can reduce the risk of chronic heart failure.
As the fruit is rich in potassium, drinking lychee tea can help reduce your blood pressure, and protect you against heart attack, stroke, and atherosclerosis.
2. It May Boost Immunity.
One of the most significant nutrients in lychee is vitamin C that makes this fruit offer more than 100% of the daily requirement of the ascorbic acid in a single serving.
Vitamin C can act as a major boost for your immune system by stimulating the activities of white blood cells.
Regular consumption of lychee tea may help improve your immune system and prepare your body to fight against common cold and flu.
3. Lychee Tea May Prevent Cancer.
Lychee tea is a good source of antioxidants that can help reduce oxidative stress and prevent the mutation of cells.
Lychee contains polyphenolic compounds that can show antioxidant activity against liver cancer cells.
Another research published in the Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology proved the anticancer activity of lychee fruit extract against breast cancer.
Besides, a 2018 research published in the Nutrient journal suggests that the medicinal properties in lychee may help treat colon cancer.
4. It Can Help in Digestion.
Drinking lychee tea after a large meal can help speed up the digestive process, thanks to the caffeine and antioxidants it provides.
Besides, lychee is rich in dietary fiber, which is vital for proper digestion. Drinking lychee tea may help reduce constipation and other gastrointestinal disorders.
According to a PLOS One journal, the anti-inflammatory properties of lychee have the hepatoprotective effects.
5. Lychee Tea Can Aid in Weight Loss.
Caffeinated beverages can improve your metabolism that helps in burning fat and losing weight.
Besides, the vitamin C in lychee also helps reduce excess fat.
Try to consume lychee tea regularly if you want to lose weight in a healthy and effective way.
Does Lychee Tea Have Any Side Effect?
Although lychee tea is quite healthy and refreshing, excessive drinking may cause some negative effects on your body, including:
- Overconsumption of this may cause gastrointestinal problems.
- As the tea is caffeinated, pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid drinking it.
- Lychee tea can sometimes make your immune system extremely active, which may increase the symptoms of auto-immune diseases.
- As lychee is a good source of sugar, diabetes patients should avoid drinking this tea. Otherwise, their blood sugar level can be imbalanced.
- If you are allergic to lychee, drinking its tea will have the same adverse effect.
How to Make Lychee Tea
You can make lychee tea in several ways, using either the fruit pulp or juice. Here is a basic recipe of lychee tea:
- Remove the skin and seed of the lychees and crush them to the pulp.
- Add a little water and strain the juice out of the lychees using a cheesecloth.
- Take a bowl and boil some water.
- Add 2-3 tea bags and let them steep for a few minutes.
- Add the juice and let it steep for 1-2 minutes.
- Strain the tea and serve. You can add sugar or honey based on your preference.
Lychee tea is extremely refreshing and provides a number of health benefits. It can be a healthy replacement for any carbonated drink on a hot summer day.
You can drink this tea cold or hot based on your choice. It can also be served with a little milk if you’re a fan of milk tea.
So, if you are bored having the same old black tea every day, buy some fresh lychees and bring some healthy changes in your regular beverages.
Read Next: Benefits of Anjeer: 15 Reasons to Try This Delicious Fruit