Warts are tiny growths of your skin due to a viral infection. The virus responsible for warts is Human Papillomavirus or HPV – 1. This virus can enter your body through a crack, cut or bruise on the top layer of your skin. (1)
Once it is inside the body, it infects the skin and makes it grow rapidly. Thus, a wart appears on the surface skin layer. You may develop warts on any part of your body such as hands, feet, legs, toenails, fingernails, genitals, etc. (2)
According to research, 20% of warts heal of its own within three months and about 60% may take up to two years to be resolved completely.
Some of the conventional treatments for warts include salicylic acid, cryotherapy, laser, and electrosurgery, etc. these treatments are ‘quick fix’ for a speedy removal of the unsightly and sometimes painful warts. (4) However, a conventional surgery or drugs can never solve the root cause of warts, which is human papillomavirus. Very often the viral infection reappears on your skin post-treatment.
You’ll be relieved to know that there are some excellent essential oils ready to battle HPV infection and remove warts naturally. (5)
Natural remedies for wart removal using essential oils are long-lasting, cost-effective and without any risks or side effects.
This article lists some effective essential oils for warts, plus common types, symptoms, and prevention tips of warts.
8 Essential Oils to Get Rid Of Warts Fast
1. Oregano Essential Oil
Oregano essential oil is collected from the dried leaves of the oregano plants through steam distillation. It has a sharp camphoraceous aroma. This herbal oil is well known for its potent antioxidants, antifungal, antimicrobial, antiviral, and antiseptic properties.
You’ll be surprised to know that the chemical compound of this oil is 71% phenols, which is antiseptic in nature. Oregano oil also contributes to improving digestive health, respiratory and immune systems. People who have used oregano oil for warts call it ‘hot oil’. It is because this oil has a burning effect on warts.
Mix 3 drops of oregano oil with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Rub the blend on your warts and the surrounding areas twice or thrice daily. Continue the application for four weeks.
2. Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea tree oil comes from the melaleuca plant, a native to Australia. This herbal oil has versatile uses due to its more than 92 active chemical components. It can provide rejuvenating effects on your skin.
A blend of tea tree oil and frankincense oil 1 drop each with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil can be a potent remedy for genital warts.
In order to avoid the recurrence of the infection, you have to continue the treatment for a week even after the warts are dissolved.
3. Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon essential oil comes from the oil glands of lemon peels. It has a wonderful citrus aroma. Traditionally lemon is a popular purifying, and deodorizing agent. Lemon oil has a host of medical benefits because of its antiseptic, antiviral and antifungal properties. (8)
Lemon oil has the ability to boost the immune system, help digestion, and respiratory process. When it comes to skin disorders such as warts, lemon essential oil is an ideal candidate to battle the infection and reconstruct your skin from the inside.
Add 3 drops of lemon essential oil to 1 tablespoon of coconut or jojoba oil and apply directly to warts using a cotton ball. Repeat the process thrice daily to see good results in few weeks.
4. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus essential oil comes from the leaves of the eucalyptus tree. The two major chemical compounds in this aromatic herbal oil are alpha-terpineol and eucalyptol. These compounds are full of anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antiseptic, and analgesic properties. (9)
Eucalyptus oil is an important ingredient in skin cosmetics, and oral hygiene products. The cleansing properties of this herbal oil make it a perfect remedy for warts.
You have to mix eucalyptus and tea tree oil 2 drops each with a tablespoon of almond or coconut oil. Now, soak a cotton ball in the oil solution and apply it to warts. You can fix the cotton ball on warts using a medical tape. Thus warts and the infection will have a longer exposure to the potent oil blend.
5. Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint essential oil originates from the evergreen peppermint herbs. The medical uses of this herb date back to ancient Egyptian civilization.
Peppermint oil has extensive use in cosmetic and medical industries. Among a host of therapeutic components, it contains omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, antiviral, and, antifungal properties. (10) These compounds are potent agents to fight against human papillomavirus.
The menthol in peppermint oil has cleansing effects on warts.
A combined force of peppermint, lemon, and eucalyptus oil can play havoc on the wart infections. You have to mix 2 drops of each of the essential oils with 1 tablespoon of your favorite carrier oil. Now soak a cotton ball on the solution and gently apply it on warts. Redo the process thrice daily for 3 weeks to get rid of warts.
6. Lemongrass Essential Oil
Lemongrass is a popular herb for Thai cuisine. From this citrusy fragrant herb, we get lemongrass essential oil. This oil is exceptionally versatile in medicinal use and benefits.
The research shows the significant effects of lemongrass oil in curing shingles and cold sores both of which are viral infections on your body.
Lemongrass oil gets its high astringent values from the two major chemical compounds citronellal and terpenes. These components treat warts by reaching deep into your skin and battling the virus responsible for warts. Lemongrass oil can flush out the toxins from your body which may have a massive influence on warts. (11)
You can add a couple of drops of lemongrass oil to a tablespoon of carrier oil. Rub this solution on warts thrice a day for a warts free skin.
7. Thyme Essential Oil
Thyme oil comes from the evergreen herb-thyme belonging to the mint family. Its
healing properties are anti-rheumatic, antiviral, antibacterial and calming components.
Thyme oil is an ideal natural remedy for warts because it is persistent in killing human papillomavirus, unlike the conventional anti-wart drugs.
You have to combine thyme and eucalyptus oil 2 drops each with a tablespoon of carrier oil for the wart treatment. Follow the similar process as mentioned earlier.
Note: There are over 300 varieties of thyme like herbs. Oil produced from each of them has different chemical properties and therapeutic benefits. Some may irritate your skin. (12)
8. Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense oil comes from the resin of the Boswellia carterii or Boswellia sacra tree. This tree is a native of Somalia. Frankincense oil has a long tradition of healing in many cultures. It is a popular oil in aromatherapy for its medicinal values.
The oil has significant effects in relieving pains, viral and bacterial infections, and stress. According to many scientific types of research, this oil can strengthen the immune system of your body to fight off pathogen bacteria and viruses. (13)
A combination of frankincense and tea tree oil proves to be most effective to ward off genital warts. For the treatment, you can add 2 drops of each of the essential oil to a tablespoon of carrier oil and apply to the affected areas.
Symptoms of Warts
- A bumpy or flat skin growth, the surface of warts may be either rough or smooth,
- There’s a black dot on the center of the common and plantar warts. This black dot is the blood vessel of the wart.
Different Types of Warts Include
- Common wart: this is the most common type of wart and. Almost 70% people suffer from this viral infection on their skins. Common warts are fleshy colored and generally appear on your hands. It has a rough surface.
- Flat warts: flat warts are yellow-brown, or even surface and smooth. They generally appear on the backs of your hands and on your legs.
- Subungual warts: this type of warts form on the bottom and around your toenails and fingernails. Subungual warts may cause you pain since your body has pressure on them.
- Plantar warts form on the soles of your feet.
- Mosaic warts are a group of thick plantar warts.
- Genital warts are delicate and appear in your genital area. This type of warts is sexually transmitted and is a special form of human papillomavirus (HPV). Genital warts don’t cause itch or irritations. But they may be painful and uncomfortable. (15)
Tips and Precautions for Avoiding Warts
You can certainly keep warts at bay by using any of the essential oil remedies discussed above. Moreover, you have to follow certain tips and precautions for avoiding contamination with HPV and prevent the spread of warts.
- Avoid frequenting humid and warm areas barefoot. Public pools, gym, common showers, locker rooms etc. are thriving places for warts.
- Don’t come in close physical contact with a person affected with warts. At the same time, you should avoid picking at or scratching warts on your skin. These activities may spread the infection to other areas of your body.
- It’s prudent to cover your warts with a bandage or medical tape to avoid contact with it.
- Keep your body hygiene when you are affected with warts. You should wash your hands every time you touch warts. It is also recommended to keep your hands dry.
- Avoid shaving, brushing and combing warts affected areas. Doing so you may help the virus to spread further.
- Don’t use common towels, socks, shoes, razor, etc. when you are infected with HPV. Wash your socks and towels after every use.
- If you are down with genital warts avoid penile, vaginal, and anal sex. Otherwise, you can use a condom while having sex. It is also recommended that you stick to one partner to avoid contamination of HPV and warts.
- Never try to do a self-surgery of warts. It may result in bleeding and further worsening the infection. You may also end up with a scar on your skin.
- Before performing any of the essential oil treatments you should do a patch test to avoid allergic reactions.
- It is good to dilute essential oils with any of the carrier oils such as almond, jojoba, coconut etc.
- Consult with your doctor before using essential oil remedies, if you are pregnant or a breastfeeding mother.
- You should add immune boosting foods and drinks to your daily diet. Some of these food items include lemons, strawberries, bell peppers, organic meat, pumpkin seeds, yogurt, green leafy vegetables, raw cheese, goat milk kefir, and drinks such as kvass and kombucha. These food items are high in vitamin C, zinc, probiotics, and vitamin B to improve your immune defense against HPV. (16)
Warts are highly contagious. You can directly contact with human papillomavirus. If you already have a wart on your skin then touching it may spread the infection to other parts of your body.
Sharing common items like razors, towels, etc. with an infected person can contaminate the infection. The vulnerability to this viral infection differs from person to person. A strong immune defense may save you from the infection even though you contact the virus. (3)
Patience seems to be the last resort when it comes to treating warts. When left untreated it takes a long time to be completely out of this viral skin infection.
The above mentioned essential oils are may be effective in treating warts naturally and fast. You should nevertheless follow the lifestyle-related tips and precautions to avoid warts in the first place.