Have you ever tried using ginger as a remedy for illness?
If not, it’s about time that you should.
In Chinese medicine, ginger is considered one of the most potent and effective medicines that can be relied on for a number of illnesses .
Its oil extract has been proven to possess strong antioxidant, antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory properties .
This means that it can provide pain relief, tone down swelling, and neutralize cellular damage caused by free radicals.
According to WebMD, the health benefits of ginger oil is potent for alleviating nausea, vomiting, morning sickness and stomach ache.
Below, you’ll find the other amazing uses and benefits of ginger oil as proven in scientific research.
1. Ginger Oil Can Help Treat Cancer
One of the most important therapeutic values of ginger oil is its anti-cancer compound.
Cancer is an umbrella term for over 200 conditions characterized by uncontrollable growth and reproduction of cells .
Left untreated, these cells can spread to nearby healthy tissues and cause severe damage .
It is potentially fatal, and is in fact, one of the leading causes of death worldwide.
Although the technology in cancer treatment has come a long way, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that cancer cases will increase by 70 percent in the next 20 years.
One way to prevent this from happening is by using natural cancer treatment such as ginger oil.
It has been confirmed in various studies that ginger has potent anti-cancer effects on the body, preventing breast, colon, and liver cancers [4, 5, 6].
In a study performed in the University of Hawaii in Honolulu, it was stated that ginger extract works in two ways: it suppresses the growth of cancer cells and inhibits blood supply to the tumor .
This is due to the presence of gingerol, paradol and other active chemicals in ginger .
- Reduce the risk of cancer with ginger known for its significant anti-cancer effects.
- Its anti-cancer properties can be attributed to the presence of active compounds such as gingerol and paradol.
- It combats cancer by stunting the growth of cancer cells, and preventing blood from getting to the tumor.
2. Ginger Oil Provides Relief from Nausea and Vomiting
Pregnancy can be a bliss, and can get you all excited with the arrival of your little one.
But it could also be distressing, causing numerous unpleasant symptoms such as morning sickness.
Morning sickness is a common complaint among pregnant women during the first three months .
It’s that nauseous feeling that they get usually in the morning, hence the name, but it could also happen at any time during the day .
To get relief from this problem, many are advised to use ginger oil, which is not only effective but also safe.
Several studies provide evidence regarding the efficacy and safety of ginger oil for pregnancy-induced nausea and vomiting [9, 10, 11, 12].
In one of these studies, 120 pregnant women with daily morning sickness were given either 125 mg ginger extract or a placebo four times daily for four days .
Outcome shows that those who took in ginger experienced great improvement in nausea and retching .
A follow-up study on the infants delivered by these women revealed that ginger did not cause any congenital abnormality .
Birth weight, Apgar scores and gestational age were also in normal ranges for these babies .
This indicates that ginger is safe to use during pregnancy, and has no adverse effects on the unborn baby .
Another study points out that ginger also works for nausea in other situations such as in chemotherapy .
- Pregnant women can find relief from morning sickness with the help of ginger.
- It is not only effective but also safe, as it has been proven not to cause any adverse effects on the unborn baby.
- Ginger is a natural anti-emetic that also works for chemotherapy-related nausea.
RELATED: Nausea After Eating: Reasons And Remedies
3. Ginger Oil Alleviates Arthritis
Suffering from joint pain and inflammation that makes it difficult for you to move and prevents you from functioning optimally?
You might have what doctors refer to as arthritis, a painful inflammatory condition that can make mobility challenging .
Ginger, an herb that has been known for its anti-inflammatory actions for centuries, can certainly help .
It works by inhibiting the effects of biosynthesis of prostaglandin and leukotriene, which are several genes that trigger the body’s inflammatory response .
Compared to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), ginger works more effectively and has fewer unpleasant side effects .
The active compounds in ginger oil inhibit the inflammatory mediators, providing instant relief from pain and swelling [16, 17].
A study conducted in the University of Science Malaysia reports that administration of 33 mg/kg of ginger extract on mice subjects caused a dramatic decline in paw and joint swelling .
- Ginger is a potent anti-inflammatory agent that can relieve arthritic pain and swelling.
- It is not only more effective, but also has fewer side effects than non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
- The chemical compounds in ginger efficiently inhibit the activities of pro-inflammatory genes.
4. Ginger Oil Lessens Pain
Acute pain isn’t usually a cause for concern as it usually goes away on its own after a short while .
It’s chronic pain that you should worry about as it does not only affect your daily tasks, it may also signal the presence of an underlying medical condition .
While you get to the bottom of the cause of your chronic pain, you can relieve it with ginger oil for the meantime.
Ginger oil has been proven to have antinociceptive properties, which means it can block pain signals in the brain .
A common type of pain is migraine headache, which can be alleviated by ginger, according to a 1990 study .
Researchers explain that ginger has “abortive and prophylactic effects” on migraine patients .
It’s also good to know that it can help ease chronic headache without causing any harmful side effects .
- While acute pain goes away on its own, chronic pain is more bothersome, and can possibly indicate an underlying medical condition.
- Relieve chronic pain with the use of ginger, which works by blocking pain signals in the brain.
- It is a highly effective remedy for migraine headaches that does not cause any serious side effects.
RELATED: 7+ Essential Oils for Bunions Pain (with recipe)
5. Ginger Oil Has Anti-Ulcer Effects
When you have ulcer, you’ll feel a “gnawing pain” or burning sensation in the abdomen that sometimes reverberates to the back and neck .
It has other unpleasant symptoms such as indigestion, bloating, heartburn, weight loss and loss of appetite .
As you can imagine, it’s a bothersome condition that you’d want to get rid of right away.
You can do this with the help of ginger oil.
Indian researchers report that ginger oil has “protective effects” on ulcer caused by aspirin and pylorus ligation .
Moreover, gingerol is also said to inhibit the activities of helicobacter pylori, a bacteria that causes stomach ulcer .
- Ginger oil protects the digestive tract and treats ulcer.
- Its gingerol controls the bacteria that cause ulceration in the stomach.
RELATED: Aloe Vera for Gastritis & Ulcer : Learn Why & How?
6. Ginger Oil Can Help Combat Herpes
There are two kinds of herpes: oral herpes and genital herpes .
The first one is caused by herpes simplex virus type 1, and is characterized by the appearance of cold sores on the mouth or face .
The other one is a sexually transmitted disease caused by herpes simplex virus type 2 that affects the genital area .
Both are highly contagious and should be treated right away before causing harm to one’s health.
It’s a good thing that the first type of infection can be treated quickly with natural remedies such as ginger oil.
According to a study published in the Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy Journal, ginger oil can control the virus that causes oral herpes infections .
It does so by preventing the virus from forming and spreading to other parts of the body.
The great thing about this remedy is that its antiherpes activities work even on drug-resistant viral strains .
As you know, some viruses have become resistant and can no longer be controlled by medications.
This should be the remedy to rely on if your herpes keeps on coming back.
- Ginger oil can treat one of the two types of herpes infection, the one that affects the mouth and face.
- It works by preventing the growth and spread of the virus.
- Its antiherpes actions are effective even on viruses that have grown resistant to medications.
7. Ginger Oil Can Improve Depression
While it’s normal to feel lonely from time to time, it’s important that you don’t let this get the better of you.
It’s a must to be able to get back on your feet, and go back to your usual routine.
When sadness prevents you from getting out of the bed in the morning, makes you lose interest in things that used to make you happy, or gives you that feeling that life is no longer worth living, there’s a chance that you are depressed.
Depression is more common than you think.
In fact, it affects more than 14 million adults in the United States .
This condition, which is more common in women than in men, can affect any age, but usually triggers those who are in their 30s .
It’s necessary to combat depression with psychotherapy and natural remedies like ginger oil.
A 2009 study reports that ginger oil in combination with other herbal methods can efficiently improve depressive symptoms .
Researchers believe that this is due to the neuroprotective effects of this essential oil .
Immediate attention should be given to people with this condition, as there’s an increased risk of suicide among people who are depressed.
- Depression is a serious mental condition that cannot be ignored, as it may possibly lead to suicide.
- Ginger oil possesses neuroprotective properties that can help ward off depression.
8. Ginger Oil Can Fight Bacterial Infections
Although it’s true that bacteria exists in the body particularly in the mouth, skin, digestive tract and genital area, an overgrowth of these pathogens can cause harm on one’s health [28, 29].
It’s a good thing bacterial infections can be stopped by natural antimicrobial agents.
One of these is ginger oil.
It has been proven in a 2010 study that this oil has inhibitory effects on microorganisms such as Pseudomonas aeruginosa and many others .
Like other natural antibacterial agents, ginger also works by preventing the growth and spread of these harmful pathogens.
- Bacterial infection occurs when there’s an overgrowth of bacteria in the body.
- This can lead to infection, and should therefore be treated right away using natural antibacterial agents like ginger oil.
- Ginger oil combats bacteria by preventing them from growing and spreading.
9. Ginger Oil Can Relieve Seasickness
Do you get that funny feeling when you ride a boat or any other water craft?
It’s called seasickness, a nauseous and dizzy feeling that occurs when you spend time on any vehicle used in water .
If you are prone to seasickness, it doesn’t mean that you can no longer travel via this route.
You can make use of ginger oil to feel better, and enjoy your trip more.
In an open trial performed by scientists from Denmark, it was discovered that ginger oil can reduce vomiting and cold sweating among people who are prone to seasickness .
People who used ginger oil had more fun during the trip compared to those who used a placebo.
Since it’s safe to use, you don’t have to worry about any unpleasant side effects even with regular use.
- When you feel dizzy or nauseous whenever you ride a boat, you can use ginger oil to relieve seasickness.
10. Ginger Oil Can Alleviate Asthma Attack
Asthma is a respiratory ailment characterized by inflamed bronchial tubes due to allergies, or viral or bacterial infection.
One of the most common symptoms of this condition is wheezing, or that whistling sound that you hear when you breathe .
This is a sign that your airways are indeed swollen and have become narrower .
Since asthma can make it difficult for you to breathe, and is in fact, potentially fatal, it’s a must to treat it immediately.
Ginger oil is one of the safe and natural aids that can alleviate difficulty in breathing .
It has a relaxing effect on the bronchial tubes, and can therefore suppress airway inflammation .
- Asthma, which can make it difficult for you to breathe, should be given immediate attention.
- One way to treat it naturally is by using ginger oil.
- Ginger oil alleviates an asthma attack by relaxing the bronchial tubes and easing inflammation in the airways.
- It can help you breathe more easily, and get rid of the whistling sound, otherwise known as wheezing.
RELATED: 9 Best Essential Oils for Asthma Attacks + (How to Use Them)
People should know more about and take advantage of the amazing health benefits of ginger oil.
Instead of relying on medications that may cause some side effects you may not be able to tolerate, you should try using ginger oil to ward off and treat ailments.
READ NEXT: 12 Health Benefits of Peppermint Oil + (How to Use It)