Essential oils are rich in potent healing properties that help treat numerous skin problems. You can also use these therapeutic oils if you have bruises, swelling, and scrapes.
Bruises are some temporary skin injuries which may come along with swelling and tenderness of skin, pain, inflammation and even itch.
Bruises are often the results of a forced injury or nutrient deficiencies which cause breaking down of blood vessels of the injured area resulting in blood seeping out of the vessels.
In the first stage of bruising, you may only get to see a red mark on the skin that got injured which later changes its color to blue, purple or black. And as the body heals, the color turns to yellow or green and slowly fades out completely. As we grow old, our skins become weak and sensitive to get bruised easily.
You can apply essential oils in various ways to get rid of the bruises along with the symptoms.
The skin healing properties of some essential oils may be effective in treating a bruise naturally.
Read on to learn the efficacy and uses of some essential oils for bruises, with additional tips and precautions.
RELATED: 15 Effective Home Remedies To Get Rid Of A Bruise
15 Best Essential Oils For Bruises and Swelling
1. Lemongrass Essential Oil
Bruises are mostly the results of painful events. So it is obvious to feel pain in the area where you get bruised.
Lemongrass oil (2) with its analgesic property works excellent on bruises. The use of this oil reduces swelling around the affected area and eliminates the pain which leads to quicker healing.
How to use lemongrass essential oil for bruises:
- Mix few drops of lemongrass oil with a tablespoon of any carrier oil preferably coconut oil.
- Massage the mixed oil slowly onto the area of your bruise.
- Repeat at least twice a day till the area gets healed.
2. Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary essential oil, well known for its immune supporting properties can add great relief to your bruises.
Rosemary (3) oil contains very powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatory components. These help in reducing inflammation and stress from the affected area and thus promote faster recovery.
How to use rosemary oil for healing bruise:
- Add 3 to 4 drops of rosemary oil to any carrier oil like olive oil and mix well.
- Add the mixture to a tub filled with warm water and soak the bruised area for at least half an hour.
- You can also apply the mixture directly over the bruise but be very gentle while doing so.
RELATED: 13 Health Benefits and Uses of Rosemary Oil (Backed by Evidence)
3. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender essential oil is known to be highly effective on bruises. This oil is versatile and performs great for your injuries.
Lavender oil (4) has healing agents along with astringent and anti-inflammatory properties that minimize the appearance of bruises.
Not only that, the oil is famous for preventing the formation of bruises having the ability to stop blood vessels from pooling up in the affected area. This means if you are fast enough to apply the oil over your injured area, you might even succeed in avoiding the bruise completely.
How to use lavender oil to get rid of bruise:
- To prevent bruises from appearing, apply 3 to 5 drops of undiluted lavender essential right over the area of your injury immediately.
- Else you can use this oil diluted with any other carrier oil on your bruise anytime you want.
Also Read: 11 Health Benefits of Lavender Oil That You Should Know
4. Geranium Essential Oil
Geranium (5) is a very strong essential oil that promotes blood circulation, generation of new skin cells and heals wounds.
Being powerful, it can cause your bruise to swell when applied which decreases with time and starts healing it faster than anything.
How to use geranium essential oil for bruises:
- Combine geranium oil with any other carrier oil preferably coconut oil or almond oil.
- Apply few drops of this oil to the area of injury
5. Chamomile Essential Oil
Chamomile (6) essential oil is famous for its analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antibiotic and anti-infectious properties which make it essential for the healing your bruises.
The anti-inflammatory properties take care of the inflammation associated with the bruise while the other ones help in reducing swelling of blood vessels and pain in the area of impact.
The antibiotic and antiseptic properties prevent your bruise from getting any further damage or infection and ensure faster recovery.
How to use chamomile oil to get rid of bruising:
- You can blend chamomile oil with any other carrier oil of your choice.
- Apply the mixture directly to your bruise for a quicker result.
Also Read: 14 Health Benefits of Chamomile Tea (Backed by Science)
6. Helichrysum Essential Oil
Helichrysum essential oil (7) is made from the oil extracted from a medicinal plant named Helichrysum. The oil is rich in powerful anti-inflammatory compounds and antioxidants.
The application of this oil can lower the inflammation of your bruised area and heal it.
How to use helichrysum oil to treat a bruise:
- Combine Helichrysum essential oil with a carrier oil preferably jojoba or coconut oil.
- Apply few drops of this over the bruise.
- If your skin is too sensitive, mix the oil with lavender oil which can soothe your skin.
7. Yarrow Essential Oil
Yarrow essential oil (8), also known as Achillea Millefolium is believed to contain anti-inflammatory and astringent properties and works great on bruises.
The astringent property can minimize the appearance of bruises. The anti-inflammatory feature takes care of the bruised area by reducing inflammation and ensuring relief to them.
How to use yarrow essential oil for healing bruise:
- Yarrow essential oil can irritate your skin, so it’s better to use this oil diluting it with any carrier oil.
- Apply the combination oil over your bruise and get relief from it.
8. Arnica Essential Oil
Arnica (9) essential oil contains analgesic, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties. This oil, diluted with some of the good and healthy carrier oils, can treat your bruises by reducing the pain and heat and promoting the healing process.
How to use arnica essential oil for bruise remedy:
- Dilute the oil by mixing it with at least two good carrier oils of your choice and then apply.
- You can also mix Arnica oil with few drops of tea tree and lavender oil each. Apply few drops of this oil directly to your bruise and get amazing results.
9. Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea tree essential oil, also known as Melaleuca Alternifolia (10) has powerful antiseptic and stimulant properties.
These properties make it eligible to treat bruises faster while also preventing them from any further infections.
How to use tea tree essential oil for bruise:
- Mix few drops of this oil with any other light carrier oil.
- Apply to the area of impact and treat your bruise.
Also Read: 11 Incredible Uses of Tea Tree Oil for Hair (With Directions)
10. Cypress Essential Oil
Cypress essential oil (11) is also used to minimize the appearance of a bad bruise. The application of this oil prevents blood vessels from welling up onto the affected area and stimulates circulation which results in a rapid recovery of your bruises.
How to use cypress oil for healing bruise:
- Mix 4 to 5 drops of this oil with a carrier oil like almond oil.
- Apply the oil immediately after an injury for faster effect.
11. Hyssop Essential Oil
Hyssop essential oil (12) is famous for being rich in astringent, stimulant and antiseptic properties.
The application of this oil can prevent your skin from getting bruised after an injury or at least minimize its appearance.
The other properties stimulate blood circulation and protect from infections to the area. This oil works great for children as well.
How to use hyssop essential oil for bruise:
- Mix Hyssop oil with a carrier oil and apply over the area of injury.
- For children, combine 10 to 15 drops of hyssop oil with a tablespoon of any good carrier oil and apply to the area.
12. Parsley Essential Oil
Parsley essential oil (13) contains antimicrobial, antiseptic, astringent and stimulant properties.The application of this oil minimizes the appearance of ugly bruises along with protecting the area from infections and itching. It also stimulates blood circulation which aids in promoting faster recovery.
How to use parsley essential oil for bruise remedy:
- Mix few drops of parsley essential oil with any carrier oil preferably almond or coconut oil.
- Apply the mixed oil to your affected area.
13. Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense essential oil (14) is known to contain significant antioxidants and some other compounds that improve the stimulation of blood flow.
Application of this oil can reduce the appearance of your bruise and prevent discoloration.
How to use frankincense essential oil for bruise:
- You can use a few drops of this oil in its undiluted form on your affected area.
- This oil can also be applied to the bruises of children as it is deemed to be light yet useful essential oil.
14. Fennel Essential Oil
Fennel essential oil, also known as Foeniculum vulgare (15), works great on a bruised skin. The oil is known to contain antiseptic and stimulant properties.
The application of this oil maintains proper blood circulation on the affected area and prevents it from any other infections.
How to use fennel essential oil for bruise:
- You can use a few drops of this oil directly over your bruise to get the expected result.
- You can mix the oil with other beneficial oils for the application.
Also Read: 14 Benefits of Fennel Tea You Don’t Want to Miss Out on
15. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus essential oil is another superb home remedy for bruises and cuts.
The aromatic oil comes from the leaves of the eucalyptus plants through steam distillation. Eucalyptus oil is a powerful antiseptic agent. The oil can prevent bacterial infection in the bruised skin area.
Moreover the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties can promote regeneration of the skin tissues by healing the wounds. Bruises often come with pain and stress on the muscle tissues. The potent analgesic effects of the oil can relieve the aches and pains related to bruises, minor cuts and injuries.
How to use eucalyptus oil for healing bruise:
- Combine 3-4 drops of eucalyptus oil with any of the carrier oil.
- Apply the oil solution to the bruised skin area.
- You may cover the injury with medical gauze to faster recovery.
Some Tips and Precautions
- In case of using strong essential oils, never skip the level of diluting the oil.
- We recommend doing a patch test before the main application.
- Never rub the area of your bruise too hard as this will worsen the condition.
- Be very gentle with the application of essential oils onto the affected area.
- Don’t use random stuff on your bruises to treating them.
- Don’t apply too much of any oil on your bruises as this may cause harm rather than curing the injury.
- Be careful while walking or moving to avoid any further injury or developing a bruise in future.
- If your bruise is too intense or becomes severe, it is recommended to consult a doctor before any application as it may need medications to get cured.
All the essential oils stated above perform great on a bruised skin and ensure relief to the symptoms.
The therapeutic compounds in essential oils work fast on bruises than any other remedies. They cause no harm or reactions to your skin if applied with proper directions.
However, essential oils are only complimentary treatments.
Incase it’s a severely bruised skin, visit a doctor for proper care and observation.
Read Next: Top 10 No-Fail Home Remedies of How to Get Rid of Boils Overnight