Have you ever noticed acne like small bumps on your face?
Does it have a reddish color on your cheeks, nose, chin, and forehead?
Does your face look like you’re blushing due to the redness?
If your answer to these questions is yes, then you might be having rosacea.
Rosacea, although a common skin condition, is chronic and incurable .
It mainly affects the central third of the face especially the nose, but its intensity varies from person to person .
Rosacea occurs mainly among fair skinned people and is often mistaken for acne, eczema, or a skin allergy.
Rosacea is known to have no cure, but there are several ways to relieve the symptoms of it.
One of the ways includes using coconut oil.
There is evidence which supports the use of coconut oil to help treat rosacea.
So this article will provide the wonderful benefits of how coconut oil is used to treat rosacea. The topics included in this article are:
- What causes rosacea?
- What are the symptoms of rosacea?
- Properties and benefits of coconut oil
- How coconut oil treats rosacea
- What kind of coconut oil should be used?
- Home remedies using coconut oil to treat rosacea
What Causes Rosacea?
Rosacea is a skin condition that occurs mainly among fair skinned people that causes redness and visible blood vessels on their face .
As a result, it may also produce redness, small pus-filled bumps on the face .
The cause of rosacea is unknown, but some known factors can alleviate rosacea on the surface of the skin by increasing blood flow. Some of the factors include:
- Drinking Alcohol
- Exposure to sunlight
- Extreme temperatures
- Drinking hot drinks and spicy foods
- Some blood pressure medications that dilate blood vessels
- Helicobacter pylori, intestinal bacteria
- Microscopic mite called Demodex folliculorum
Apart from these factors, hereditary and environmental factors also contribute to causing rosacea.
However, poor hygiene does not lead to rosacea.
Symptoms of Rosacea
Rosacea varies from one person to the other, but some signs and symptoms are common in all.
Persistent redness that doesn’t go away is one of the first signs of rosacea.
Other than this, there are specific symptoms or major signs that are diagnostics of rosacea. They include:
Many people are seen to have a history of such usual flushing.
Along with such symptoms, sense of heat or burning is an early feature of the disorder.
Bumps and Pimples
Pus-filled pimples like substance or small red bumps occur as well.
These bumps and pimples often resemble acne, however, aren’t the same.
They are accompanied by burning or stinging feeling and hence shouldn’t be taken lightly.
Visible Blood Vessels
People suffering from rosacea are seen to have visible blood vessels called telangiectasia appear on their cheeks, nose and other areas of the central face .
In some patients, swollen and red eyelids along with watery or bloodshot eyes appear.
In left untreated in severe cases, corneal damage and loss of visual acuity can occur .
Although rosacea is incurable, coconut oil can help to a great extent.
Properties of Coconut Oil
The coconut palm’s scientific is Cocos nucifera.
For centuries, coconut oil is known to heal many skin problems especially in reducing skin irritation, and inflammation.
Below are some properties and benefits of coconut oil that is great for the skin:
- Odorless and non-viscous
- Nongreasy and mild inconsistency
- Its high fatty acid content penetrates the skin without clogging the skin pores.
- Manage high heat
- Moisturizes the skin
- Incredibly resistant to rancidity
- Can be mixed with other essential oils easily for more benefits
- Wonderful antioxidant and disinfectant properties
- Soothes the skin
These properties make coconut oil suitable for any skin type, now let’s see how this miraculous oil may help to treat rosacea.
How Coconut Oil Treats Rosacea
Coconut oil, an extract from the kernel of mature coconuts can refresh and repair skin barrier due to its rich antioxidants and moisturizing properties .
These properties of coconut oil are due to certain components found in it.
Here are some of the components of coconut oil that prove to be beneficial in treating rosacea:
Contains Vitamin E
Coconut oil contains vitamin E(tocopherol) that acts as an excellent antioxidant, helping to heal the skin.
Vitamin E, being the primary lipid-soluble antioxidant found in skin, protects the cell from oxidative stress .
A study published in 2015, showed experimental evidence that Vitamin E has anticarcinogenic, photoprotective, and skin barrier-stabilizing properties .
Moreover, it not only nourishes the skin but also preferred over treatments that use harsh chemicals as its chemical free and natural.
Contains Lauric Acid
Lauric acid, a major fatty acid found in coconut oil has strong antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties helping to fight off the bacteria that causes rosacea.
It is a rare fatty acid found in coconut oil and is also present in mother’s milk .
Research has found that mite named Demodex, causing pus-filled bumps in rosacea, got reduced using tea tree oil and coconut oil.
Due to the antimicrobial and disinfectant properties of coconut oil, people have got relief using it as a treatment for rosacea.
Hence, soothing the inflamed and irritated skin.
Contains Ferulic Acid
Ferulic acid, another fatty acid found in coconut oil, is a type of polyphenol-containing effective anti-oxidant property more than that of vitamin E .
Ferulic acid, makes coconut oil easily penetrate deep into the skin, ensuring moisture, softening dry and thick skin condition of rosacea.
Apart from this, ferulic acid is also known to soothe red, inflamed skin thereby reducing itchiness.
Coconut oil also contains other fatty acids such as myristic acid, palmitic acid, caprylic acid, capric acid, linoleic acid, oleic acid, and stearic acid .
Such fatty acids found in coconut oil also has anti-bacterial and antioxidant properties that provide similar benefits in treating rosacea.
Hence, the presence of these fatty acids makes it possible to treat rosacea.
What Kind of Coconut Oil Should You Use?
It’s essential to use good skin products to have good skin.
With time, using harsh elements on the skin can do more harm than good, making skin dryer and tougher.
As a result, It is an absolute essential to use a high-quality virgin coconut oil to minimize the symptoms of rosacea.
All the benefits and properties mentioned above that helps to minimize rosacea require virgin coconut oil.
Using a poor quality coconut oil may not have the beneficial properties in it due to the over-processing involved to extract the oil or filled with chemical and preservatives, that may give undesired results.
So, always search for ‘virgin coconut oil’ instead of ‘refined coconut oil’!
Although they both are coconut oils, their composition varies drastically.
Virgin coconut oil, extracted from coconut milk and its meat contains its original composition whereas refined coconut oil, extracted from the dried coconut kernel loses some of its potency.
The term ‘refined’ used in refined coconut oil means bleached and deodorized. Refined coconut oil doesn’t have the smell which makes it suitable for cooking or as an additive in food.
So next time you want to use coconut oil for any skin purpose, make sure it’s virgin coconut oil!
Home Remedies Using Coconut Oil to Treat Rosacea
As you have read so far, rosacea is a skin problem that causes an irritated skin.
Using simple home remedies, you can provide some relief to your skin!
Here are home remedies using coconut oil that will give relief to your skin when having rosacea:
1. Honey, Lemon, and Coconut Oil Treatment
What You’ll Need:
- One tablespoon of raw honey
- One tablespoon of coconut oil
- Half a teaspoon of lemon juice
- Mix honey, coconut oil and lemon juice in a bowl
- On a clean and dry face, add a heavy coat of this mixture
- Apply it on your face for 10-15 min till the mixture soaks in your skin
- Wash it with cool water
- Pat it dry with a towel
READ MORE: Lemon Juice for Acne: 8 Simple Home Remedies
2. Oat and Coconut Oil Mask
What You’ll Need:
- One tablespoon of oat flour
- One teaspoon of raw honey
- One teaspoon coconut oil
- Mix all the ingredients together
- Apply a thick coating of this mixture on your face
- Leave it on your face for 10-15 minutes
- Wash it off with lukewarm water
READ MORE: 10+ Health Benefits of Honey (Backed by Science)
3. Tea Tree Oil and Coconut Oil Treatment
What You’ll Need:
- 1-2 drops of tea tree oil
- A teaspoon full of coconut oil
- Combine both the oils together to make a serum
- Apply this serum on your every night before going to bed
- Wash the serum off in the morning after waking up
READ MORE: 12 Incredible Health Benefits of Tea Tree Oil (Backed by Evidence)
4. Clay and Coconut Oil Treatment
What You’ll Need:
- A teaspoon of Bentonite clay
- A teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- A teaspoon of raw honey
- A teaspoon of water
- A teaspoon of coconut oil
- 1-2 drops of any essential oil (lavender oil)
- Mix all the ingredients apart from the coconut oil
- Apply this mixture and leave it on your face for 10-15 minutes
- Wash it off with lukewarm water
- Then apply the coconut oil and leave it without washing it off
READ MORE: How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Acne Treatment
5. Banana, Honey, and Coconut Oil Treatment
What You’ll Need:
- A tablespoon of coconut oil
- Two tablespoons of ripe banana
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- Mix the ripe banana with coconut oil then add a pinch of turmeric powder to form a paste
- Apply this paste on a clean and dry face
- Leave it for 15-20 mins.
- Wash the paste off with normal water once dried then pat it dry
If these remedies are unavailable at home, coconut oil can be applied directly to your skin and used as a moisturizer.
Make sure to gently massage it all over your face and reduce the amount of coconut oil if you have oily skin.
These home remedies using coconut oil are found to soothe and cool rosacea.
It is advisable to use virgin coconut oil due to its amazing properties that retain its potency for minimizing rosacea.
Coconut oil, unlike other skin products, does not contain any chemicals.
It’s natural antibacterial, antifungal, and antimicrobial property helps in the treatment of rosacea by reducing irritation and inflammation on the skin.
By using some of the home remedies, it can give a soothe and moisturized skin.
It is less costly and affordable when compared to other synthetic treatments for rosacea proving to be highly beneficial in treating rosacea.
READ NEXT: Coconut Oil for Eczema: 6 Simple Ways to Try Now