When it comes to treating constipation at home, some fruit and vegetable juices may work great as they are rich in fiber. Apple juice is such an effective remedy for constipation relief.
The condition refers to a symptom that’s characterized by infrequent or difficult bowel movements .
The frequency of stool passage varies from one person to another. Some people can pass stool as often as three times a day whereas, for others, it can be a once- or twice-a-week occurrence .
But, not having a bowel movement longer than three days may make the stool harder and more difficult to pass.
In this article, we are going to discuss how you can use apple juice for constipation relief. You’ll also learn about the symptoms, causes, and other beneficial fruit juices for constipation.
What are the Properties of Apple Juice?
Apples come from a tree that has been grown in many countries in Asia and Europe. The fruits have over 7,500 varieties .
The juice extracted from this fruit is also beneficial.
Apple juice is made by macerating and pressing the pulp of apple .
It’s one of the most widely consumed fruit juices in the world. It’s produced in large amounts in the United States, China, Germany, and Poland .
Like fresh apples, apple juice is also rich in vitamin C, and antioxidants such as flavonols, procyanidins and chlorogenic acid .
Why Apple Juice is Good for Constipation?
Apple is one of the healthiest fruits. It’s nutritious and has therapeutic effects. Here are the different ways apple juice can help in the treatment of constipation:
1. Apple Juice Increases Oral Fluids
One of the most common causes of constipation is the insufficient intake of fluid.
You can reverse the problem with increased consumption of fluid.
For those who are not fond of water’s bland taste, they can turn to apple juice instead.
Apple juice is naturally sweet and delicious that even kids love them.
Fluid consumption can reduce chronic constipation in children or baby constipation .
2. It Helps Increase in Dietary Fiber
Low fiber intake can be a reason for constipation.
There was a clinical trial conducted by scientists from Israel. Patients with constipation who used pectin among other fibers had more frequent bowel movements, less flatulence and abdominal pain, and improved stool consistency .
As you know, pectin is one of the dietary fibers that can be found in apples.
3. Apple Juice Boosts in Nutritional Supply
Apples are high in nutrients. Thus, it can supply the body with its much-needed vitamins and minerals. 
Constipation can be a grueling condition that can take a toll on your health.
Keeping the body nourished can help so much in dealing with this type of condition.
4. It Has Mild Laxative Effects
Apple juice also contains sorbitol, a sugar alcohol which has mild laxative effects. 
This means that this beverage can help increase the frequency of bowel movements.
At the same time, it can ease symptoms such as abdominal pain and strain.
All these properties show us how apple juice can benefit those who have constipation.
How to Use Apple Juice for Constipation Treatment
Below, you’ll find a quick rundown of constipation remedies that make use of apple juice.
Most of these contain other natural ingredients that are also known to have laxative effects.
1. Pure Apple Juice
Whether you’re constipated or not, drinking apple juice daily is a good habit. It’s because the fruit has essential nutrients that your body needs.
Learn how to make pure apple juice for constipation:
- Put 3 sliced apples in a blender.
- Blend until consistency is similar to a smoothie.
- Add a glass of water.
- Chill in the refrigerator.
- Drink apple juice every day for one to two weeks.
2. Apple Juice and Prune Juice
Prune juice has always been a popular choice when it comes to constipation. Combine it with apple juice for a more powerful effect. 
Try this apple juice and prune juice for constipation:
- Combine 1 cup of each of apple juice and prune juice in a glass.
- Mix well.
- Drink a glass of this juice combination three to four times a day.
- Follow this remedy daily until you feel better.
3. Apple Juice and Pear Juice
How to use apple juice and pear juice for constipation:
- Put 1 cup of each of apple juice and pear juice in a glass.
- Mix well.
- Drink two times a day.
- First, drink it on an empty stomach in the morning.
- And second, drink it before going to bed at night.
- Do this procedure every day until your condition gets better.
4. Apple Juice with Fresh Apples
To make sure you get enough dietary fiber, pair your apple juice with fresh apple slices.
A simple way of consuming apple juice with fresh apples for constipation:
- Add 1 cup of apple slices to 1 cup of fresh apple juice.
- Consume the mixture every day for one to two weeks.
5. Honey and Apple Juice
Honey doesn’t only make your apple juice tastier, but also helps in boosting bowel movements. 
Try this honey and apple juice recipe for constipation:
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey to 1 glass of pure apple juice.
- Mix well.
- Drink this mixture daily for one to two weeks, or until constipation is gone.
6. Oatmeal and Apple Juice
Learn how to use oatmeal and apple juice for constipation:
- Cook 1 bowl of rolled oats according to package directions.
- Top cooked oatmeal with slices of bananas and strawberries.
- Eat this bowl of oatmeal and fruits.
- Drink a glass of apple juice afterwards.
- Do this in the morning every day until your condition gets better.
7. Apple Juice with Fennel Powder
Fennel seeds are aromatic spices that have a sweet flavor. The seeds are rich in phytonutrients and antioxidants such as anethole. These active components of fennel seeds are effective for curing digestive disorders, diabetes, asthma, etc. 
Fennel seeds are also rich in dietary fiber. Hence the seeds help in retaining water content in the stool to regulate a good bowel movement. You can add fennel seeds powder with apple juice to get rid of the constipation problem.
Here’s how you may use apple juice and fennel powder for constipation:
- Remove the seeds of an apple, chop it up and blend on the juicer.
- Add 1/2 cup of cold water and 1/2 tsp of fennel powder to the juice and give another round of blend.
- Pour in a glass and consume the drink.
- Repeat the treatment thrice daily to relieve constipation fast.
Other Beneficial Juices for Constipation
apart from apple the following juices may regulate bowel movements and resolve the symptoms of constipation:
- Cranberry Juice
- Banana Juice
- Grape Juice
- Kiwi Juice
- Cherry Juice
- Pear and Plum Juice
- Prune Juice
Causes & Symptoms of Constipation
Here are the indicators that you have constipation:
- Fewer bowel movements
- Straining during a bowel movement
- Hard, lumpy stools
- Abdominal pain
- Swollen abdomen
Before you can relieve this problem, it would be good to know what’s causing it. It will help you to prevent this condition from happening again in the future.
According to experts, the following factors may contribute to the problem:
- Insufficient intake of water and dietary fiber
- Sudden changes in routine, eating habits, and lifestyle
- Certain medications
- Anxiety, stress or depression
- Not passing stools when you have the urge to do so
It may also be a sign of an underlying medical condition such as:
- Anal fissure
- Colon or rectal cancer
- Multiple sclerosis
- Weak pelvic muscles
- Overactive parathyroid gland
It’s a must to get a proper diagnosis for your condition. You must treat constipation immediately before it causes any harm to your health.
Is Constipation Dangerous?
Constipation is not to be taken lightly.
If left untreated, it can lead to complications such as:
- Hemorrhoids or swollen veins in the anus
- Anal fissure or broken skin in the anus
- Fecal impaction or hardened stools that obstruct the intestines
- Rectal prolapse or protruding intestine into the anus
So, to make sure these things do not happen, it’s important to treat this condition immediately. 
Constipation is painful.
Make sure that you don’t suffer from this condition any longer by including apple juice in your daily diet.
Combine it with other juices like prune juice and pear juice to get quicker results.
Usually, constipation goes away in a few days with some dietary changes. But if you notice the symptoms don’t go away for 3 weeks or more, you should seek medical attention.
Besides, you must see a doctor if the following symptoms occur:
- Pain with constipation.
- There’s blood in your stool.
- Constipation happens due to some medications.
READ NEXT: 14 Proven Home Remedies for Stomach Flu